I met up with Ralph this past weekend at his new atelier in the Chabanel area, still under construction. He revealed that the inspiration behind the Kenscoff collection goes back to his Haitian roots. “In one word – Roundtrip”, he says to describe Kenscoff. It represents a roundtrip (coming of a full circle) between Montreal and Haiti, a country he deems magical in many ways.
With his roots being so influential in his life, this collection is his most personal one yet. For Ralph, Kenscoff is more than a collection. It’s an attitude that illustrates the strength of his countrymen and women.
My curiosity already heightened, Ralph then blared his music even louder, as it is his daily source of inspiration. He then took a blank paper and pen, and sketched an abstract, surrealist illustration. His visions then come to life through the fabrics and colors that he carefully selects. Now that is a creative individual.
The fabrics he showed me were so scrumptious, so to speak. I’m like a kid in a candy store when it comes to fabric. He didn’t allow me to photograph the fabrics just yet – but just imagine: soft leathers with a hint of sparkle, ombre grey and white sheer silk, detailed laces and hand embroidered sequined fabrics. The metallic and neutral colors tie in with the strength of the Kenscoff theme.
While all of this sounds fascinating already, the next Montreal Fashion Week is only three weeks away – and the sewing process has yet to begin! With the new atelier still in progress and fabrics needing to be coordinated with designs, it seems like so much to do in so little time. But neither Ralph nor his assistant, Vanessa, seem stressed – they know it’ll be done in timely fashion. Can I be stressed for them?!
Stay tuned to this space, more inside news follows soon.
Silvia graduated from LaSalle College in Fashion Design and then obtained her Bachelor’s degree from Concordia University with a major in English Literature and minor in Art History. She has been working in the industry as a fashion designer for a few years now.
Silvia is also one of the writers we recommend to those who are looking for talented and reliable fashion writers.
Click here to get in touch with Silvia.
Share this with your friends!
Related Montreal Fashion News...
Latest articles from Silvia Di Iorio
- Dot & Lil: Bringing Skin Care To A New Level posted on Thursday, 06 February 2014 15:43
- Top 8 Tips for Spring Cleaning Your Closet posted on Thursday, 11 April 2013 21:08
- Montreal Fashion Week 24, Day 4 Highlights with Harricana and Télio competition posted on Friday, 08 February 2013 15:33
- Montreal Fashion Week 24, Day 3 - Impressive Indeed! posted on Thursday, 07 February 2013 12:57
- Montreal Fashion Week 24, Day 2 - Ralph Leroy, Nisse, Symbiose posted on Wednesday, 06 February 2013 14:48
- Day1- By Thomas, Pedram Karimi, Melissa Nepton, Nadya Toto posted on Tuesday, 05 February 2013 14:42
- Designer Madeline Ledan On The Kenscoff Collection posted on Sunday, 03 February 2013 11:39
- Kenscoff’s Renowned Models Exclusive Q&A posted on Monday, 28 January 2013 21:12